Wednesday 6 March 2013

Short Story: Fear - A Nightmare


A/n Here is the first story I ever wrote. It is actually based on a nightmare of mine hence the title :) I just had to get it out and since typing it out I haven't had this nightmare again. It helps to get things out of your head.....Now on with the story and let me know what you think - TheDreamer


Fear - A Nightmare

Fear, it is the emotion that gives us the ability to do things we usually wouldn't do or wouldn't be able to do.

For example it gives the weakest human the ability to lift a car. The gentlest human the ability to fight and defend itself violently and without a second thought. It also gives a human the ability to run the fastest it's ever run.

That's what I'm doing now, running for my life. Don't ask from whom, because I don't know. All I know is that IT is pure evil and if I let IT catch me my life is over. 

I'm in the forest and I don't really know how I got here but I barely spare a thought for this fact. 

Branches rip and tear at my skin, my clothes and my hair as I run and stumble through the foliage. The afternoon air is so cold it makes my lungs burn and my breath comes out in little white puffs.

Thump thump thump.

IT's gaining on me, I think fearfully so I pick up my pace, pushing my legs to carry my body even faster. 

Up ahead I can see that the trees are thinning and give a sob of relief.

Somebody will surely be there to help me, save me, protect me from the evil that's chasing me. I take a look behind me and see IT moving faster and faster. I can hear IT breathing. ITs feet pounding the dirt as it runs. I can not however see ITs face. 

I wish I knew why IT felt the need to chase me and catch me just to destroy me.

Through all this I am still running and when I look in front of me again I skid to an abrupt stop.

A cliff. A cliff is beyond that thinning of trees, not help, not protection and not a savior. Tears cascade down my cheeks as I look out over the wild ocean. 

The water smashes against the rocks below me. The wind whips my hair around my face and tugs viciously at my clothes. Stormy clouds cover the sky and the sun. There is no warmth only the harshness of nature that seems to be in sync with the emotions rolling through me. Fear, anger and hopelessness.

I sigh as I realize I have a decision to make. Either way it will end with my death. How it ends however is my choice. ITs terms or Mine.

I can stay and wait for IT to reach me and finally see ITs identity. And if IT gives me time perhaps ask why.

Or

I can take a leap of this cliff into the churning water below and end this fear, this chase, the run for my life. My own terms not ITs. This choice would be my victory over the evil.

I look behind me again and see IT getting closer. I can hear the chilling laugh of triumph. IT thinks it has me, I think not.

I make my decision. I jump.

The last thing I hear is ITs scream of rage. I feel satisfaction. 

The last thing I think is that I'm finally at peace.  No more fear, no more anger, no more hopelessness.

The last thing I feel is falling.


I once heard the last thing an angel feels is falling. Perhaps I'm an angel....

2 comments:

  1. I finally got to this, I deeply apologize that it took me so long, been very busy. I love the look of your blog, it's unique. Books do it for me too, and I like the colors. Great story. It definitely sounds like a dream, and a classic dream we all may have had at one time or another. So turning it into a short story is brilliant because even though the IT is vague and the lead up to the situation is unspecified, it's extremely identifiable. I love the way you start by talking about fear, and the fact that you refer to humans also as it, as in 'itself' etc. There's a level of detachment in that, which creates a darkness, and an unsafe feeling, which is good for the mood I think you're hoping to evoke. There's a great tension build up throughout and then the end is tragic, but possibly hopeful, so rather intriguing. Anyway, I liked it a lot, and I'm glad you shared your new blog with me. Take care, Sage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have no need to apologise but I do for the horribly late reply. Thank you so much for your kind words. I'm so glad that you liked it :) I love it that you also understood this story, how it was written and what I meant. Again thanks for taking the time to comment :) TheDreamer

      Delete