Tuesday 19 March 2013

Short Story: To be a Star


A/N I was in a strange mood lol 


To be a Star  
When someone says "I want to be a star", you would think they mean fame, and fortune.
I knew a boy who said that to me once. And I assumed that, that was what he meant.   
I was wrong.  
It was a cold winters day and we were taking a walk throughout the forest. As we walked he took my hand in his and gently lead me into the clearing a few meters ahead. We sat down in the grass and snow, and still he held my hand.
Sitting in silence for a long time we just enjoyed each others company and the peace and quiet surrounding us.   
After a while he turned to me, smiled and said "Do you remember when I said to you I want to be a star?"   
"Yes", I replied wondering where he was going with this.   
He took a deep breath and continued "I want to shine the brightest in the sky, so you'll know its me. I want to be able to watch over you forever." I sat quietly all the while wondering why he was saying this.   He must have seen my confusion so he explained.  
He had cancer and had only a few months left to live. He hadn't told me any sooner because he just wanted to live as normally as possible.  I wrapped my arms around him and held on tightly.
We both wept in sadness and anger for future that wouldn't be ours and then we also wept in happiness for the time that we had been given to live, love and enjoy each other. We lived and loved in those few months that many people only dream about.    
His time came in a hospital bed 8 months later. I loved him so much and didn't want to let him go, unfortunately it was not up to me to decide.  
It was a Friday in the late afternoon when he turned to me, smiled and said "It is time for me to go my love, look for me in the night sky, I'll be the star burning the brightest. I'll always be watching you and I love you so very much, never forget that". He gave me such a beautiful smile.  
I leaned down and gave him one last kiss, filled with as much love as I could. As I straightened, he drew his last breath and left this world.   
That night as I walked the path to our cottage near the cliff edge, I looked up at the sky.  I started to laugh and weep. Then with tears running down my face I whispered, " You got what you wanted my love," for there above me was a star that had never been there before.
It was the brightest of them all and as it twinkled at me, I just knew it was him.

No comments:

Post a Comment